Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Starting Over

Today I made bread for the first time here in Seoul. It’s been a while since I’ve made bread, at least six months. I have been making bread since I was a senior in high school when my Aunt Diane taught me how to do it. There are a lot of things about making bread that I love: the smell of the wheat, the feel of the dough, the warmth of the house while it’s baking. I find it very rewarding to bake bread. I usually feel satisfied when I pack my baked bread away into bread bags and then into the cupboard or freezer. A good friend of mine once told me, “if you do something enough, it becomes so easy to do—it’s like falling off a log”. Well, I think I was about to that point with my bread making….until, I moved here. I have postponed my first bread making experience for fear that maybe I won’t be able to make bread here and I am going to have to admit that to myself. A fear that that part of me and many other parts of me can’t exist here in Seoul. Today I faced that fear and made my bread.
When I left Chicago, I had a 50 pound bucket of wheat that I left in the trash because the moving company wouldn’t include it in my shipment and I didn’t know what to do with it. So many times since I’ve been here in Seoul, I’ve thought about my bucket of wheat in the garbage. What a tragedy. And so, from day one in Seoul I have been on a quest to find wheat. Like many of God’s blessings, my wheat found me, I didn’t find it. A woman from my church was moving back to the states and she invited me to clean out her pantry. In her pantry was a 5 pound bag of whole wheat. I smiled and took it home where I packed it carefully into my cupboard waiting for the courage to attempt my bread. I think my biggest fear of making my bread was my “oven”. It’s a glorified microwave, really. It’s the size of a microwave with a round rotating tray. It has three different modes: microwave, grill, and convection oven. All of the buttons are in Korean and so is the owner’s manual. For the last six weeks I have experimented with some success and a lot of failure with the little oven. Like many other aspects of my life, my quest to “figure out the oven” has been a study in optimism, innovation and endurance; marked by an occasional triumph and many failures. The bread? It got a little burnt on the outside (a common dilemma of mine with the convection mode and converting Celsius to Fahrenheit) and one loaf stuck to the pan...UUugh. But, I discovered that it is possible to have homemade bread in Seoul and I can make it, if I’m willing to put forth a little bit more effort. It is frustrating to feel like I am relearning my life all over again, just when I felt like a well-oiled machine, but like another good friend once told me, “We never arrive”. So, here’s to my journey, and hot bread and honey.

9 comments:

Gracie said...

I loved that bread! I hope you cook some more soon! Just like your Aunt Dianna taught you how to make bread, you could teach me. I can't wait till you cook that frozen extra dough. And be cheerful! I couldn't even taste the burnt part.

toby said...

Congrats on figuring out the oven!!
That is nice the next generation is interested in learning your skills!

BigFunFamily said...

Oh, that's something I also have trouble with--figuring out a new oven. And in Korean, too! You are brave : ) I finally started making bread again after 2 years. I taught John and he has made as many loaves as I have! Yum, yum!

behka said...

Kim,
I when I think of you I alway think of your bread. You gave me your recipe, I never mastered it. Good for you, figuring it out. I can just smell it.

ellen said...

Share the recipe, please!

gloria said...

I Will never be able to taste that delicious bread again, unless I come to Korea. I can almost smell and taste it right now with a little of my strawberry jam! Way to go Kim. I will tell Dianne you are making her bread again.

Em said...

I am glad you were able to make your bread. And it sound like for the most part it turned out ok. I just got a new oven and hardly ever use it. Maybe I should attempt to make some bread. Ya, right.

Miriam said...

All I can say is I love your bread

Robs said...

I'm glad you are making your bread! I can almost smell and taste it. Oh YUM! It's the best bread in the world! You are my hero! I think I would be stomping my feet and screaming at Jared if I had to re-learn everything. You are amazing!