Monday, February 18, 2008

"O" in Korean means Five

Hiking the mountain behind our house is one of my new favorite pastimes here in Seoul. The view of the city is absolutely incredible. I love it up there. A lot of the townsfolk hike up there to worship the Buddha statue or just to exercise. Over the Chinese New Year holiday we took all of the children up and explored for a while. During this hike with our family, the Korean people took special notice of Jim. They walked by with their mouths open and their heads shaking in disbelief. Then they would hold up their hand to show “five”, and say something I imagine went like this, “Five? Do you really have five kids?” They were amazed by the size of our family.

10 comments:

Miriam said...

mom I remember them allways pointing to james I think they where asking if he was the onley boy in the family, of corse james would say no dad is a boy so there is two.

Gracie said...

I loved that hike! I hope you will take us up there again sometime soon! I had never seen people worshiping a statue, so that was cool!

Anonymous said...

Kim, Jim, I miss your five!

Unknown said...

That looks exhausting especially with five kids. Good for you guys. I don't think I would have made it. Especially with Maggie on my back!

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for stairs!!

gloria said...

Looks like a great activity. I wonder if I could make it?

Robs said...

Looks like a fun hike. I miss you guys. Today while driving in the car Libby said. "There's Kim, I thought she was in Korea". I looked over and sure enough there was a skinny tall dark haired girl that to a 3 year old I'm sure looked like you. I explained that you were in Korea and she then told me "well, I really need to go to Korea and see my cousins!" Someday!

behka said...

That looks like so much family fun! Good work, with your five. I know you, and I shake my head in amazement at what you and Jim are doing. I can only imagine what the Korean's think of you. Love ya.

Unknown said...

Hopefully we will be able to run up that mountain one day. For now I am just glad that we have an open place to get outside.

alese said...

Looks like fun. At least you can go outside. Utah has the top 5 cities in the U.S. with the worst air quality right now. We are all stuck inside with not much to do. Looks like a trip is on the brink! Okay, maybe not, but it sounds good.