Monday, February 11, 2008

Seoul's Border

When we lived in Chicago we loved going to the Mexican Grill, “On the Border”. Unfortunately for us the grill closed and we missed going there. Chili’s became our default. One day soon after I got to Seoul I noticed a person walking with an “On the Border” take out bag. Could it be? Sure enough; we had to come to Seoul to be reunited with our long lost pal.
How was our dining experience? Well, the food was great, just like back home. One very significant difference was that our waiter stayed at the end of our table nearly the entire time that we were in the Restaurant. At times he paced back and forth at the end of the table, once he wiped Maggie’s snotty nose. He basically “waited” for us to eat. I found it comical and a bit unnerving. He probably found us comical and a bit unnerving. (An added perk is the Korean rule of service: No Tipping. Absolutely, no tipping is allowed.)

Today I rode a cab across town. I had my stroller with me. When the cab stopped to pick me up, the driver hopped out and ran around the car to the sidewalk that I was on and collapsed my stroller then put it in the trunk. This was a bit shocking, but not as shocking as what he was wearing: a starched white shirt, a suit vest and tie. No blue collar dressers around here.

5 comments:

NatalieBee said...

Wow, you are so lucky to find an american resaurant that you love that has good food. What are the odds? Someone upstairs must love you alot. I say as long as you can get good mexican food you guys are gonna make it. As for the waiter, that would have given me such anxiety!!! Totally in my personal space. Hovering strangers make me nervous. I'm glad that the people are so kind and helful though. Love ya, Natalie

gloria said...

You certainly don't get service like that here. We went to the new Chili's in Centerville the other night and waited for over an hour for our entree. I finally asked for our check for the drinks and chips, and what do you know, they brought out our entree. I suppose it had been sitting under heat lamps all night. Won't be going back there real soon. Dad said they hover while you eat! That's hilarious. You're lucky he didn't take a bite of everybody's food!

Em said...

I am so glad that you found somewhere good to eat. Why did the waiter stand there the whole time? Sounds like you are well taken care. I would like to have a taxi driver like that.

ellen said...

Things are lookin' up!!

Gracie said...

Love yout blog! I am so glad that you saw that person with the "On the Border" bag. The food there was great! I guess I should count my lucky stars that I was by the wall instead of on the end of the booth. I would hate how the waiter was staring and pacing!