Thursday, February 7, 2008

Armed and Dangerous

I finally have a map and a “dictionary”. The book has helped me shop for furniture, find a public bathroom for my desperate child, find and use a public telephone, and say goodbye with a bit of finesse. I love the book, in fact sometimes it is so entertaining to look through that I become distracted and lose all sense of time. I wonder why I didn’t buy one before I came. I guess I couldn’t understand the value of communicating through language until that ability was lost. I couldn’t have understood until I was immersed in it, how complicated the foreign characters, the tones, and the honorific changes would be for me. Most of all, I couldn't understand how the most simple needs and desires can't be met without the ability to speak. It is all very overwhelming. I am getting by though. The other day, I was able to ride a cab from across town. In Korean I was able to say, “Please take me to the fire station” (which is near my home). Then, when we neared the fire station I was able to say, “turn right” then “turn left” then “straight up there” and last of all “here please”. I was quite happy with myself that I have come so far. I have been so completely helpless and pathetic. I am gaining self-sufficiency bit by bit. What a relief!

7 comments:

gloria said...

Kim, I'm so proud of you. You are so resourceful, talented, and bright! (Didn't I tell you to get a Korean Dictionary?) You never cease to amaze me. I've always wondered, "where did you come from?" You are truly a gift from Heaven! You always could out skate, out bike, and out climb us all. Love you, miss you and think about you endlessly.

Gracie said...

Mom, you need to help me learn! I love Korean, but it is hard to pronounce!

behka said...

Good for you Kim! Just when its time to come home you'll have it all mastered, right? Good work.

Em said...

Gee, that is impressive. How can you read korean let alone pronounce it! Not being able to communicate must be so discouraging. Sounds like your catching on though!

BigFunFamily said...

That's amazing. I don't think I could take a cab by myself in English without having a nervous breakdown. You are awesome!

toby said...

That is so cool. Very impressive
speaking Korean and all! You are
very talented. Oh, the places you'll go!

Miriam said...

that book is asume i love it but notr as much as your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!