Thursday, November 22, 2007

Treat or Treat Part II

Halloween night in our neighborhood was…interesting. The seven of us started off down our street. First stop, a nice house, the only problem is the two-hundred stairs leading to the front door. That's okay, my determined children will not be deterred. They start the hike, reach the top, pound on the door and no answer. Oh well. They start back down the stairs and someone opens the door,“Oh, we’ve never had trick or treaters before!” (The stairs must have been a bigger turn off than we thought.) “Let’s see if we can rummage something up.” Moments pass. Our five children wait with what seems to be a dog pant. Awkward. Finally, the nice man comes back to the door with the most eclectic range of “toys” I have ever seen: glittery horse figurines, a plastic flower pot that bends if you push on a button, etc. They were kind of like upscale McDonald’s toys. Jim and I look at each other a bit confused. Meanwhile, the kids are bounding happily down the stairs and hey, we’re off to the next lucky house on our street.

6 comments:

Miriam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gracie said...

I loved your blog! So that's what you and and Dad were thinking about. They were so nice I agree. Maybe we could go and count the stairs!

Unknown said...

I felt sorry for the guy down the street who LOVED halloween (house completely decked out in stuff) who begged us to come back later because he had not had time to get ready due to his father's heart attack.

PS I love the picture. Whoever took that must be a great photographer.

Unknown said...

Why are you deleting our comments? What is this some kind of censorship? Did someone have a contrary voice?

This is blog tyrany.

Robs said...

You have got to be kidding me! The man had never had Trick or Treaters before? SAD! I love that he went and rummaged some toys out. Very touching! Or not since I'm sure you've had to deal w/ the toys since then! I love the blog! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I love the pumpkins. What is Halloween all about anyway? Kids dress up wierd, scary, and funny and go begging for candy?