Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mount Auburn Cemetery

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir, 1913

Mount Auburn Cemetery remains a favorite “spot of earth” for me. It is such a sanctuary of nature, a place for quiet reflection on life and death. The headstones so often speak of good lives and inspire me to think about what really matters and what will be remembered years from now. The landscape is picturesque. Every tree is labeled with a plaque that states its species. Our family has spent many Sunday mornings walking the hills there, smelling the pine, reading the tree plaques and headstones and enjoying the quiet beauty and space. It is a hidden treasure. This month we discovered a tower in the cemetery. We each took our turn climbing to the top (including Grandma Gina and Papa who were visiting us) and we were able to see for miles in all directions; miles and miles of color. I enjoyed looking around and picking out landmarks like The Harvard Business School, The State House on Beacon Hill, The Charles River, and The Boston Temple. On Veteran's Day we took some time to look at a few of the Civil War heroes’ gravesites. The history of the cemetery is so rich. The American Flags for the Veterans' graves made the cemetery seem quieter and more reverent. I couldn’t help but think about my two grandpas that served in World War II and all of the service men and women now serving, and all those who have given their lives serving our country. I am thankful for the United States of America.
Unfortunately, my children didn’t quite connect with the moment and while they were sliding down the stairs that lead down out of the tower, one of them grabbed onto a brand new sprinkler head and snapped it in half. Breeaakkk!! Uggh!

9 comments:

Miriam said...

I love your blog it is so good but I do not like how you added in the broken spreke my favorite part was how you added in the looking at the civel war graves can not wate to see the one on susan-grace's birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miriam said...

love the blog it is so good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gracie said...

HEY!WE DID NOT BREAK IT! IT WAS CONNER!SADLY THE COMPUTER IS BROKEN SO WE CAN ONLY WRITE IN CAPITALS WITH THESE!!!I REPEAT! WE DID NOT BREAK THE SPRINKLER!ANYWAY OTHERWISE I LOVE YOUR BLOG! VERY VERY GOOD!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been with you at Mt. Auburn Cemetery. It looks like a wonderful place to visit and reflect. I never made it there when we lived in Boston. The broken sprinkler? Well, kids will be kids!

Anonymous said...

I had to read your quote by John Muir a couple of times. Very deep. You need a red wheelbarrow.
Keep the blogs coming!

Unknown said...

Wow that is a great picture of the cemetary. Who ever took it must be very talented. You are a great writer. I also enjoy the cemetary but only with you.

Robs said...

You are both fabulous writers and photographers. You inspire me. Sadly, I have neither a blog nor a camera to take pictures with. SOMEDAY! Love the blog Kim. Keep it coming!

Unknown said...

Kim
I finally broke the code and got into your blog. When reviewing your blog I think I am in a commerical site. Great pictures and oral communitcation. Love seeing the places and grandkids on the computer.
Love Dad

Unknown said...

I am with dad, "I finally broke the code to get into your blog". Or should I say you broke the code. Love the quotes, especially the one about childhood being the most beautiful season. Isn't that the truth!