Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving I can’t help but look back upon our experience in Chicago and Jim’s years as a Ph D student and give thanks for where we were, where we are, and where we are going.

Giving thanks for where we were:
I am thankful for Lake Michigan and our dragon kite.

I am thankful for the Lincoln Park Zoo and the mighty lion's roar.

I am thankful for the Devonshire Aquatics Center and the "tube slide".

I am thankful for the swings at the Rand McNally Park.
I am thankful for the Skokie Public Library Children’s Department and the "bean bag" song.
I am thankful that by default and under much duress, I learned how to grocery shop and cook (a few things at least).

I am thankful that my children had clothes to wear; Thank you, Thank you.

I am thankful to anyone who has ever opened their home to me and taken me in; Thank you.
I am thankful for small budgets and big blessings.
I am thankful for student loans (I think).
I am thankful for the piano and the Anna Magdalena Bach Notebooks.
I am thankful for Jim’s motto, “Happy wife, happy life”.
I am thankful for Jim’s creed (adopted from Sir Winston Churchill), “Never, never, never give up."
I am thankful for Jim’s wholehearted belief in the statement by David O. McKay, “No other success can compensate for failure in the home.”

Giving Thanks for where we are:
I am thankful that my husband has a job.
I am thankful my husband likes his job.
I am thankful that the things my children have broken here in someone else's house, can be fixed (I hope).

I am thankful for Maple Trees, Oak Trees, Burning Bushes, etc.
I am thankful for Google maps.

Giving Thanks for where we are going:

I am thankful that my children speak my language (most of the time).
I am thankful for the Seoul Foreign School .
I am thankful for the English Branch in Seoul.
I am thankful for the 17 Costco Stores in Seoul.
I am thankful for the knitting club in Seoul.

I am thankful for the Chicago Temple, the Boston Temple, and the Seoul Temple.

Many more thanks.
Love, Kim

7 comments:

ellen said...

I'm thankful that you are in Boston for a short while!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for a beautiful daughter and her extraordinary family--my darling grandchildren. Thanks for sharing what you are thankful for. It made me stop to realize all the many little things in life that we take for granted and are so important to our well being. Love Mom

Miriam said...

I agre toetaley

Gracie said...

First i would like to announce to the public that my Mother is a fantastic cook and anyone who disagrees about this needs to come over for dinner (when we are not having potstickers!)

Anonymous said...

I love reading your comments. You're not a bad writer--your blogs are all very well written--informative, interesting, and reflective. Love the pictures and quotes. Thanks for sharing. Mom

Robs said...

Okay this post made me cry. I am thankful for my awesome sister and brother in law and their beautiful children whom Libby adores and talks about all the time. I will miss you this Thanksgiving and wish you were here to take care of me. I am thankful that my sister brought me a weeks worth of meals when I had Noah and will never know how touched both Jared and I were. I love you Kim and think this is the BEST post ever. Oh, and I'm thankful for student loans too....we have you beat there!