Thursday, January 3, 2008

Seoul, Day 1

Day 1: January 3, 2008
My first day in Seoul: absolutely overwhelming. I am going to disregard the fear of hearing an, “I told you so”, from my parents and be completely honest, I am experiencing profound shock and utter exhaustion. Here are a few of my first day’s events:
1:00 am to 6:00 am: Seven people with jet lag awakenings and diarrhea.
6:00 am to 9:00 am: sifting through suitcases, again. Thankfully only one suitcase got left behind in Seattle. It should arrive tonight.
9:00 am to 12:00 pm: While exiting the plane in Seoul, we misplaced Margaret’s amoxicillin. Ugh! We spent the morning trying to find a doctor who would look at Margaret and reissue the med. Thankfully, my neighbor went with me. She was my interpreter. (Somehow I was under the false impression that everyone here speaks English; chalk that up to my naivete or my ego centrism, which ever you like.) The doctor was nice (seemed to be nice, I couldn't understand much of what he was saying) and wrote a prescription for an antibiotic. Okay. We paid $18 for the visit (I thought that was very reasonable) and stopped at the nearest “pharmacy” (I include quotes here because it in no way, shape, or form looked like a pharmacy to me). The “pharmacy” then filled the “antibiotic” (same reason for using quotes). The antibiotic was a series of little plastic envelopes filled with powder that was to be mixed with some yellow liquid and given four times a day. I was now standing clearly outside of my comfort zone. Whatever happened to good old American amoxicillin mixed and ready to be refrigerated? Oh yeah, that’s on some airplane probably half-way around the world. Ugh.
12:00 pm to 1:00 pm: My nice interpreter friend across the hall calls in some Papa John’s pizza. I start some wash (you know how laundry calms my nerves).
1:00 pm-3:00 pm: Sleep. Ahh.
3:00 pm to 4:00 pm: Jim informs me that there has been a major misunderstanding as to how to apply for a working visa and he has to fly to Japan in an hour. What? I am going to be left here in Seoul, alone with five children, no food and no car? I cry. I feel like I am going to panic.
4:00-5:30: I gather up the children and we walk about a quarter of a mile away looking for the grocery store. It’s cold. They are tired. Again, no one speaks any English. We walk back home with $13 worth of oranges from a street vendor. We found no store. Maybe I should have been looking for a “store”’.
5:30-6:30: Exhaustion settles in. Hunger settles in. Thankfully my neighbors flock to my aid and help me once again to order Korean takeout and $40 worth of fried chicken. The smells of the food, the looks of the food were so overwhelming that I lost all of my appetite. I had to get it out of my house. Somehow we survived that “dinner”.
At this point, I looked around me and I felt the most depressed I have felt in a very long time. I went in my room and prayed. Miri came in and put her arm around me. And I did what I know how to do: clean. I cleaned and cleaned.
9:30-10:00: I fell asleep in the chair attempting to read the Book of Mormon.

For the benefit of my parents, I want to just add, that my children say they are very happy here. They love Seoul. Why? Because of the heated toilet seats that squirt water! What else could a person want?

8 comments:

gloria said...

That gaping hole in my heart just grew two sizes bigger. I'm at work and can't cry, so I will do that when I get home. I won't say I told you so, just that dad and I love you and will be praying for good people to help you find your way in a strange new world. Love you all. Mom

Robs said...

Kim, I am totally crying! I've been thinking about you and praying for you! When can I call you? I am speechless. I too will be praying that you find good people to help you and your kids. I love you guys! Hang in there! At least your house is clean and your laundry is done....

Unknown said...

Kim, comment from Dad. It is very sad that when a child is told "the jungle is full of tigers and the tigers will do very mean things to you, the child still must go into the jungle to see the tigers". This is what I have learned from the empty feeling, after the initial emotional shock things will improve and continue to improve and the emptiness will slowly be gone. Kim, know that we love you, Jim, and all the kidos and you are in our prayers. Love Dad

Unknown said...

kim, I can't even begin to imagine what you are experiencing. The first to lines of your blog made my heart sink. I am thinking about you and your family. You are all in my prayers. The way you describe Korea makes me think of the panic attack that I had in the dentist chair when I lived in Provo. Not fun!!! Hang in there. I love youfaluka76

Anonymous said...

Oh, my precious baby sister!!! I wish so badly that I could somehow rescue you. I've learned in this hard knock life to take one day at a time, and sometimes you have to take one minute at a time. Dad is right. Things will slowly get better. Remember that Heavenly Father confirmed your decision to go to Korea. There must be something He needs you to do or learn there. You'll never be the same person you were just a week ago. You are wiser now and stronger. "That which doesn't kill us indeed makes us stronger better people." Heavenly Father won't leave you comfortless. That's what the scriptures say and I know from my own wildernesses that it is true. He loves you and your sweet little family and is watching over you. We are all praying for you and love you very much!! I hope that you are able to find something good to eat very soon. Hang in there! Your strength amazes me. Love, Natalie

ellen said...

Keep writing about your experience. You will get settled in and look back at when you first got there and smile. I've been thinking about you and your adventure.

Gracie said...

Dear Mother,
I think you are the best mom on earth. I felt deppresed, but after that analisis hardly anything compared to you. I hate the time change, but all is well. (My secret to you), I am SO glad Dad had me take a nap yesterday! Your loving daughter,
Susan-Grace O.

behka said...

Kim,
I am thinking of you and your family. Unbelievable turn of events. Sometimes life isn't very nice! But Heavenly Father is good, even in Seoul. You can do it!!