Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mountains: Part I

Seoul has beautiful mountains. They are impressive and they can be grueling. When I was a young, I lived on a mountain. Some of my friends lived higher up on the mountain than I did and sometimes (not very often) I would walk to their houses. Those hills were steep. That is what the hill is like where the girls go to school. Straight up. For the last week, I have put Maggie in the stroller, James on the buggy-board and with the three girls straggling behind I have struggled up that mountain to the great gates where the Korean guards manage the traffic of little foreign children who attend this school. As I wind my way up the hill, slowly but surely I have been so impressed with the cars that whiz by. Not all, but most of them are the most beautiful cars that I have ever seen. Long, sleek, black Mercedes manned by the family driver or chauffeur. The culture of the school has impressed me. It is, like everything else very foreign to me, and a culture of its own inside of the Korean culture. I have asked myself, “How do I fit into this Mountain of Seoul? And maybe the most important question of all, “What will be its effect on my children?”

4 comments:

gloria said...

Finally, something! Very insightful blog. Cute pictures of the girls. I too wonder what the effect will be on all of you. I always say, what doesn't kill us will only make us stronger. Missing you.

behka said...

Your daughters look beautiful and happy. When are you getting your long sleek expensive car that seats 7? Ha ha. Your kids will be as grounded as you are.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I think about you everyday. I wish I could talk to you. I feel like I'm climbing my own mountain right now. So what difference does it make whether it is in soeul or tooele. Life can just be downright unfair and hard. Last friday Kaylie was fitted for her brace for her scoliosis. I want to cry for her. I wish that I could just wear it for her. She has to wear it 18 hours a day. It is a big huge hard plastic thing that has put big bruises on her ribs. She can't move in it. It is really horrible. I lay awake at night and am sick for her. She has to spend the next three years in that thing and the Dr. said because the degree of her curve she will still most likely be faced with surgery. I'm really down in the dumps. Can you tell? Oh, and she has to wear special underwear that snaps down there. It rubs hers raw, as if she weren't already uncomfortable enough. Boy, it's hard to watch your children suffer. Love, Nat

Gracie said...

Maybe it will have a very good effect on our family. I'm so glad to have internet again!