Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Geo Ville 401 A

Seoul: Day 3--January 5, 2008
Saturday Jim and I spent most of the day in our soon-to-be home. It is a newly constructed condominium or “villa” in a building that has three other villas. Our villa is on the top floor. It is really quite lovely. It has marble floors and great big windows. It seems “happy”, I guess if you can say that about a completely empty home.
When I first went to see our place I was alone with Kang, the kind Korean driver (Friday, remember?) He couldn’t find it. He stopped to ask for some directions and I noticed a street with a church on it. I looked down the street and said to myself, “Wouldn't it be nice if I could live on that street”. Kang returned to the car, looked around and then turned down that street. My villa is at the top of it. The view from our front windows is that street, the church and the little shop where Kang asked for directions.
On Saturday, for part of the time we were at our place with a “furniture man”. He is a very kind and patient Korean man named Mr. Kim. He brought with him these three gigantic furniture books that we looked through with him and my ever kind and helpful neighbor, Jenny (my so-called translator). I would pick something and then he would go into the corresponding room and measure to see how it would fit. He accommodated my indecisiveness so graciously. Finally, we were able to decide on fourteen pieces (remember I shipped next to nothing). He delivered them last night. They are wonderful and fit each respective room so nicely. I had fun “shopping” for furniture right inside of my place. It was a bright and happy moment full of hope that I would have a place that I could call my own again and unpack my suitcases!
Side note: We spent about two hours there shopping, for some reason the heat wasn’t working yet and it was so cold. At times we could see our breath.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what do you know. I'm the first one to leave a comment. Shopping for furniture sounds fun. A nice american past time. Hopefully your able to have it delivered soon and really settle in! Love, Natalie

gloria said...

Your Villa looks beautiful. I would like to see it with the furntiture in it. Hopefully, you will soon be settled and start feeling at home. And,hopefully, living out of suitcases is coming to an end!

behka said...

So fun! I can't wait to see it all! I am still trying to furnish my house after 6.5 years....

Gracie said...

Hey, I agree with you! It is rather wonderful how the furniture fits each room! No stress, but I hope that we can find something to cover up the holes!

Robs said...

Sounds like a little fun to be shopping in your new home! Post pictures of the new furniture when you get time! What holes is Gracie talking about?