Friday, January 4, 2008

Costco In Detail

Here are some interesting details about my Costco experience. The Costco here is multilevel. It goes like this: a very crowded parking garage underneath the ground, a textile floor, and a food floor with check out. I was filled with relief at how familiar everything was! Whew! Big carts, same floor to ceiling stocking, lots of American products, even a similar food court. I had a huge smile on my face as I showed the man my card to get in. It all felt familiar. All the same, there were a lot of things that were different, that I didn’t expect. Due to my naiveté or my ego centrism, again, you pick; I was expecting that Costco would be filled with Americans. Not so. I was the only American in the entire store. I also expected everyone to speak English; again, not so. I think I shocked everyone with my massive purchase. Mostly the cashier; I had to pay completely cash/won (yes, just like the Costco in the states, they accept only cash or a special debit card that I don’t have.) Since the biggest won is equivalent to a $10 bill, I had 70 bills that I was counting out at the check-out with sweat dripping down my face. I totally had sensory overload. I felt like all eyes were on me (if the shoppers thought this was entertaining, just wait until I have all five children in tow). Thankfully, Kang was loading my enormous buy and my compassionate neighbor, the interpreter, insisted on going with me. She helped with the communication along with looking for boxes to pile my food in. Whew.
An interesting addition to this Costco: While shopping, you have to change floors with your big heavy carts. So the store has installed huge stairless escalators; they look like big huge conveyor belts that you drive the carts onto and the wheels automatically lock into place so that the cart doesn’t roll away while you are on the steep incline/decline. I was pretty impressed.
Here are some products I was so happy to see: Tide (hee hee), Downy, Huggies, Sealy mattresses, milk, cheese.
A product that was slightly different: sour cream (it is Danish and tastes like plain yogurt, it put a nice spin on my Ziti.)


Yes, I even had to show my reciept as I walked out the door, actually Kang did that for me.

6 comments:

gloria said...

Wow, Kim, I think you're going to be OK. Way to go!

ellen said...

See, things are looking up!!

Anonymous said...

Kim, you sound so much better. Are you better? Or just being positive? Well let me tell you about my day. While I was in the shower today Ethan found some nail polish in Kaylie's room and decided to paint his toenails. What a nightmare!!! First of all nail polish is absolutely forbidden in our house, hence we've been down this road before. Kaylie chose to sneak it in anyway. I'm none too happy. Ethan pretty much poured it all over our brand new carpet. I spent over an hour trying to get it out. It's lighter but not out. I'm just sick about it. Oh well, it's just carpet right? Ethan's entire toes were painted. Right up to his foot. He showed them to me and said "Look mom, pretty!!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Costco sounds like a total social anxiety attack. I would never have survived!! This hymn is coming to mind-- "Gird up your loins, fresh courage take, the Lord will never us forsake. And then we'll have this tale to tale. All is well, All is well!" I love you Kim, Natalie

Gracie said...

That does sound pretty hard!I didn't know it was that bad! I hope that you keep posting.

Miriam said...

love the blog sory I was not there to help miriam

Robs said...

Im picturing IKEA's conveyer belt thing? Do you remember that? Was it like that? It sounds like things are looking up! Hang in there and keep updating the blog!