Monday, December 10, 2007

Laundry

My friend Ellen was over at my house and took this picture of my children. She said as she took it, “Oh, this is perfect, the laundry basket in the background”. My initial response was, “no way, let’s move it!” Then, second thought, that is perfect. I grew up loving laundry, it’s clean, it's orderly, it's me! I had three children and still I loved laundry. One day my aunt came over to my house and said, “Oh, your house smells like your mom’s, it must be your laundry.” I was in heaven. She had complimented me to the utmost. Now, after five children, I do laundry, I don’t love it. But I have to admit, it still smells like my mom’s. Ancient Chinese secret? Nope, it’s Tide with April Fresh Downy. Love it! I am a black sheep in my family though, because I am actually okay with stained clothing (I can’t believe I just publicly admitted to that).

8 comments:

Unknown said...

We sure buy a lot of spray and wash for someone who is OK is stains. You are not drinking it or something like that are you?

Unknown said...

how can one love doing laundry? Ya, the smell of laundry detergent is nice. but the folding and putting away is for the birds. Not to mention carrying the heavy loads up and down the stairs. Well, as king Edward says in Braveheart "To be king you must find the good in any situation". I say "To be a mom you must find the good in any situation". maybe laundry isn't that bad.

Miriam said...

"Love the blog."laundry post is diffrent than the rest but I still love the blog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gracie said...

I loved how you were so freaked out about the landry basket in the background. I hope that Ellen can come over again and take more pictures of us!

behka said...

Its a beautiful pic of your kids and I love the basket in the background! Last night I sat mayself down on the laundry room floor and folded laundry because poor Rob couldn't find a pair of socks for his basketball game. Maybe I'll try your ancient secret, then my house will smell clean and fresh like yours!

gloria said...

I love the picture. The first time I saw it, I noticed the laundry basket--I'm like you--I thought it was most appropriate. With 5 kids laundry is never ending. The stains? They're hardly noticeable most of the time. I'm glad the smell of laundry reminds you of me and home.

Anonymous said...

You so strategically placed that laundry basket, and then tried to pretend it was an accident. Every picture you take is utter perfection. None of us can live up to that. I bet that basket of laundry was clean too, ready to be folded. If I took a photo like that it would be dirty laundry all over the floor in the back ground. The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was, look how cute, she has a picture of her kiddos and all the laundry they generate. Love, Natalie

Kim said...

Natalie-
You are so sassy! Yes, the clothes were clean, no it wasn't staged. Ellen is my witness--ellenpatton.blogspot.com