Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Temple of Vesta

One of my favorite Roman traditions is the tradition of the sacred fire of The Temple of Vesta. Vesta is the Goddess of the Hearth and her role in Ancient Rome was to protect the city as the vestal virgins kept the fire of the hearth burning bright. This tale of Rome made me think about how important woman are in the home. Their work, though at times tireless and mundane, may be the very thing that protects their home and their city from calamity and ruin.

*It was very difficult to tell what was what in The Forum. There were no signs describing the ruins. When I took this picture I thought it was The Temple of Vesta but when I checked on Wikipedia it showed the temple as this. I think the temple is in the top, left-hand corner of the photo--above the bunch of trees*

No comments: