Thursday, November 11, 2010

Florence, Italy

On Wednesday, Jim and I took a train to Florence. Wednesday afternoon, we wandered through the streets and went to see Michelangelo's, David. After all that I had seen in Rome, I was afraid that the statue would be disappointing. Seeing it for the first time made me gasp. The statue itself is enormous. Bigger than I ever imagined. What's more, it is absolutely perfect, down to the veins in his arms and legs. It is incredible from every angle. I circled it in awe. Not a single flaw. It looks so real, I had to look closely to see if he could breathe.
*No photos were allowed of Michelangelo's statue, David.
After the museum, we ran up to the Piazza Di Michelangelo. We wanted to catch the view of the sun setting over Florence from the hillside.
Afterwards we enjoyed a quiet Italian dinner at a Florentine restaurant. I'm so sorry I don't remember the name of the Restaurant or the hotel. Funny how those things seem so insignificant until I'm writing it all down.
After dinner we walked back down the Arno River and enjoyed the views of the Ponte Vecchio.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Amazing photos! I always love hearing about your travels and seeing your photos.

Peg said...

Love,love,love the statue of David. It is my favorite! Love the very fine details like the veins, Sistine Chapel is my next favorite. You are so lucky to get to see them in person. Thank you so much for sharing.