Monday, November 8, 2010

The Streets of Rome

It was so easy to fall in love with Rome. Romantic is defined as imaginary, visionary, idealistic, heroic, adventurous, or mysterious. I agree, that's Rome.

On our last night in Rome, we wandered around the city enjoying our favorite attractions. At the piazza Navona I bought a watercolor from a local artist. We threw a coin in the Trevi Fountain. Legend says that if you toss a coin into the fountain over your shoulder, you will one day return to Rome, (here's to hoping that's true). Near the Trevi Fountain, we decided to look at some shoes in a local shoe store. We tried on a few different pairs. I tried on boots. I was just messing around having fun, I had no intentions of buying. Then, out of nowhere, Jim said, "We'll take the boots". I didn't even know if I liked the boots. That's when I noticed all of the signs that said, "NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES". I started to argue with Jim, "No, I don't want the boots". Jim then did something he rarely does, he insisted. He insisted on getting the boots! We walked out of the store with this huge boot box. I was so mad. I didn't want to be mad in Rome, so I tried to talk myself out of it over a gelatto.
The Sunday after we got home from Italy, I put on my boots. I was shocked. I loved them! It's a good thing Jim knew.

Trevi Fountain (1762)

A Roman alleyway

1 comment:

Beth said...

Great photos and fun story.
But, where is the photo of the boots?