Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ancient Rome

The Colosseum 70-72 A.D.What I found most interesting about the Colosseum is that it had running water and toilets. My great-grandma didn't have a toilet until the 1970's! The Colosseum's complicated design and enormity immortalize the Roman Empire. Palatine Hill (the birthplace of Rome) 1000 B.C.After visiting The Colosseum we wandered around the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. Palatine Hill, with it's olive orchards and ruins of Ancient Roman palaces and temples was the quintessence of romance (no pun intended). The Trajan Column (113 A.D.)I loved our day visiting Ancient Rome. I found the order, the splendor, the traditions of this ancient civilization absolutely intriguing. One part of the day that I remember fondly is walking through a little grocery store outside The Colosseum. Jim picked out a few European cheeses that we'd never tasted and bought a baguette of bread. I chose some grapes. The food was so delicious. We wandered around Ancient Rome sharing our sack lunch.

1 comment:

toby said...

Wow, I have missed a lot. I have a lot to catch up on. I am so happy for you that you got to have a trip w/ Jim. That is really nice.
Thanks for the photos and blog.
Was it your anniversary?