Friday, October 9, 2009

Anna's Cowboy Campfire

It has been a tradition in our family to have a "cowboy campfire" birthday party for our children when they turn eight years old. As Anna's eighth birthday approached, I knew that this tradition loomed ominously in the background and I didn't quite know how I was going to manage it in Korea. I tried to convince Anna that a birthday party down the street at the local ceramic shop would be nice. I thought that this option would surely win over her artistic heart. But no, she insisted on having a "cowboy campfire". When we sat down to decide on a date, which can be a complicated process in a family of eight, it came down to having the party over Chuseok weekend. Chuseok is a major Korean harvest holiday similiar to Thanksgiving. I told Anna that she may have only two people show up to her party. She said she didn't care. I sent off the invitations quietly relieved by the thoughts of two little eight year old guests coming to the party. The next challenge was the "campfire". By no small miracle, we were able to borrow a fire pit from some expats that live in a gated community near my home. I was so happy to have this taken care of that the thoughts of firewood were left until the afternoon of the day of the party. I called my Korean friend and asked her where I could buy firewood. She hesitated. "Hmmm, I don't know", she said. I asked her to tell me how to say firewood. She hesitated again. I began to feel a little nervous. Then she said, "I have some old chairs that I am going to throw away. Do you want them?" I laughed. No way. Koreans don't build bonfires? Jim said, "Get the chairs. I think they'll work".
So, in the end, we were able to pull off the campfire, broken down chairs and all. And thank goodness, because we had 24 guests that were just dying to sit around the campfire and sing to the guitar music of my dear friend.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Fun you were able to keep your tradition! Thank goodness for those chairs.

Robs said...

Looks like the party was a hit! Per usual! Wish we could have been there. Happy Birthday Anna!

gloria said...

Once again Kim, you are super mom! You make the rest of us look so ordinary. How do you do it? I'm so glad Anna got to have her cowboy Campfire! Looks like everyone had a great time. I'm coming to the next one! Bring on the hot dogs and marshmellows!

Anonymous said...

I bet you were so glad for those broken down old chairs. How many guests came!

I bet you all had a blast.

Happy Birthday Anna! It's great to be eight!

NatalieBee said...

First of all, where do you find the energy? And second, what a great story. Happy Birthday Anna. Maybe one of these days I'll find time to post about Meghan's on my blog.

behka said...

What a fun tradition! What do you do for your kids when they turn 12? We need more traditions at our house.