Tuesday, April 7, 2009

5 A Day

Last year my friend and her two year old would drink spinach smoothies almost everyday. "Yikes!", I thought, "that is really gross". Then after talking to my sister-in-law (who drinks green drinks everyday) I decided to try it. Today our smoothie had: two heads of Romain lettuce, two stalks of celery, two cups of frozen strawberries, one cup of frozen blueberries, one cup of fresh pineapple, one banana and one cup of soy milk. I thought it was really good. How do my children like it? Well, it's really hit or miss. Some days they drink the whole cup and on other days I drink the whole blenderfull by myself. Like the day I put broccoli in it...

9 comments:

Robs said...

I'd make those everyday too if I had a $1500 blender! Looks yummy! Have you tried the soup yet?

Jessica said...

We have green smoothies too! (It ends up being about 2-3 times a week instead of every day. We have a normal blender and it works well.

I've never tried it with green-leaf lettuce or celery, but I will. I have put carrots in, and you can't tell.

I usually do 2-3 cups spinach, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 banana, and 2 TBSP flaxseed. Then I either add 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use whey, but it could be soy) or 1 cup yogurt or tofu.

We did it the other day with mango and strawberries as the fruit and some tofu for protein and it was delicious!

Ashley and the Fam said...

i know what you mean about hit or miss. somedays when my mom makes it i leave some in the bottom when she's not looking (ssshh!), and other days i gulp it down.
oh and btw, thanks so much for the bookmark, i love it!!!

Miriam said...

I love those drinks

Gracie said...

MMmmmm! I love them!

NatalieBee said...

Drinking Spinach? YUCK

Beth said...

I never would have thought of putting green into a shake. Perhaps we'll try it. Your girls give it a thumbs up, so that's worth something.

Em said...

I won't let my kids eat spinach...is that bad.

gloria said...

Maybe Emily should give the shakes a try and nourish her little girls with something besides mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. I bet you can't even taste the spinach--right?