Thursday, November 10, 2011

Delivery Room, Severence Hospital, Seoul, Korea






A few months before Benjamin was born, I took Miriam to a prenatal appointment with me. Out of the blue, I found myself asking if my oldest daughters could come to the birth of our baby. I expected the doctor to give an emphatic, "No". I just about fell off my chair when she said, "I think that would be great."
Why did I ask? I wondered to myself, over and over again, but Miri, Miri lived each moment of the next few months strategizing how she could convince me that the doctor was right.
In the end, my two oldest daughters were there with Jim and me for the birth of Benjamin; my only child birth experience without pain medication.
Jim said he's never heard anyone scream inside a building as loudly as I did the last five minutes of delivery.
The reason I aquiesced to my daughters' desperate begging to see their baby brother be born? Because they have been so helpful during my pregnancy, it didn't seem fair to leave them out of the most exciting moment of all.

2 comments:

Crystal Ridlon said...

Wow! They don't appear to be too traumatized. And they are just so beautiful!

behka said...

How fantastice that they got to be there! I have had similar thoughts, but with csections its out of the question. Congrats on another beautiful baby:)