Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lemon Ice Cream


A few years ago, when we lived in Chicago, Jim gave me an ice cream maker for my birthday. We attempted, unsuccessfully, to make ice cream a few times. Soon thereafter we moved to Korea. I brought my ice cream maker with me but shoved it into a corner, resolving that if it was difficult to do in Chicago, it would be impossible here.
This summer, I noticed my ice cream maker sitting in the garage and I thought, "Why not try it again?". This time I read through the instruction manual and determined to take a scientific approach to our ice cream making. The first attempt of our ice cream making was for our Fourth of July party. It didn't turn out very good. I determined to try a few new recipes each Sunday during the summer months. A few more tries and our ice cream was delicious. Our favorite recipe is Lemon Ice Cream (a recipe Jim had growing up).

Lemon Ice Cream
6 quart freezer
5 1/2 C sugar
1 gallon whole milk
Heat milk until just bubbly, add sugar and dissolve over low heat.
Remove from heat. Add the juice of ten lemons.
Stir in one pint of whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of lemon extract.
Cool in refridgerator overnight.
Mix in ice cream freezer.

*This recipe actually makes two batches in our six quart machine.

1 comment:

Robs said...

Yum! That looks so dang good. There is nothing like homemade ice cream!