Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Where on earth?

This spring the blossoms came later than usual and waiting for them, I couldn't help but feel disappointed and cheated out of one of Korea's loveliest attractions.
In the midst of this disappointment and doubt, one morning I took my bike down a road on the mountain that I hadn't been on before. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught site of a dirt path bordered by giant trees with thick dark trunks and topped with millions of blossoms. I slowed my bike and turned around. The site was breath taking. In my heart I named this place, "The Avenue".
I waited impatiently all day so that I could take my family over and walk with them underneath the trees and feel the magic of being in such a beautiful place with them.
****
One day, I sat on a giant rock underneath a blossoming tree whose pink petals fluttered down around me with each gentle gust of wind. Miriam sat on the rock with me and as I listened to her excited chatter about hopes and dreams of the future I felt as though I was in an enchanted storybook. We caught a few of the air-borne petals and counted it a foreshadowing of extraordinary luck.
Another day, I sat with Daniel on the side of a nearby stream and wondered at his facination with throwing rocks and sticks into the water and watching them float down, down, down and out of sight.
This spring has been a challenging one for me, my children have been sick week after week since January. It seems I haven't finished the bottle of antibiotics before I'm getting a new one for a different child. Margaret was in the hospital with pnuemonia and Daniel's asthma has been out of sorts for a while now. Sitting in this spot of spring I couldn't help but think of the irony of my situation: I was feeling doubt and disappointment about the season while this little piece of heaven was so close and so perfect. I just had to wait and find it.







4 comments:

Beth said...

"Beautiful" isn't quite adequate, is it?
You are doing a great job of showing the lovely of Seoul. Can't tell from your photos that millions of people live there.
Happy spring!

virginiaoldroyd said...

Kim,
You are what makes the magic.
Your pictures are beautiful just like you are.
Nagoya Mom

Anonymous said...

wow!That is beautiful I am sad I could not see them longer.I had to go to activity days.I love bllosems and I love you!

hope you get this comment love
anna

NatalieBee said...

Beautiful pictures. This post makes me think of the Primary song, My Heavenly Father Loves me. (Children's Songbook pg.228) Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue sky....