Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Pearl Market

Haggling for a deal is not my idea of a good time, but I did it anyway. The Pearl Market is full of fake merchandise, everything from electronics to sunglasses, handbags to jeans, and of course pearls. I was able to get prices down pretty fast because none of the Chinese vendors could believe that I have three daughters and their admiration of my large family gave me an advantage. This would always make me smile and I would think to myself, "if you only knew". Unfortunately, as soon as I would get somewhere with my price war, Miri would take the side of the vendor and start saying things like, "It's a good price, Mom. I'll loan you the money so you'll have enough". Sabotage. "Whose side are you on anyway, Miri?" I would think as I looked at her reproachfully.
I bought a few shirts and sweaters for Jim and a few souvenirs, but in the end, the best thing to buy in the pearl market are pearls. Imagine that.

2 comments:

gloria said...

The Pearl! I love mine--who knows if they are real or not--they're real to me. What an experience. I've loved your blogs about China. They bring back great memories.

NatalieBee said...

Oh, Miri!! She makes me laugh. Remember the whole wig incident? Hahaha. Yeah, I needed a smile this morning. Thanks, Kim!