Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Lake Park in Beijing

On our last day in Beijing we rented bikes and a paddle boat and enjoyed a spring morning exploring the Lake Park.
As lovely as the park was with spring at its fingertips, the water in the man made lake was grubby and sludgy and cold to say the least. I was shocked to see a swimmer moving from the shore to a nearby island. "Ew", I thought, with my face all tightened up as though I had just eaten a lemon. I couldn't imagine swimming in that dirty water on a warm day, let alone on a day when everyone else was wearing coats to keep warm.
It turns out there were quite a few swimmers that morning, all men and all in speedos. I hope they didn't swallow any water.
We also happened upon an older man playing a traditional Chinese string instrument. The instrument makes a sweet, melancholy sound, similar to the violin with a bit more "twang".
At the lake with the beginning buds of spring, my three oldest children and I embraced our last moments in China exploring and laughing together.


3 comments:

virginia said...

Kim your blogs are the best. Looks like so much fun.
Nagoya Mama

JB said...

I like the speedo man.

NatalieBee said...

Those people are CRAZY!! I bet if they came to visit Utah, the first thing they would want to do is take a dip in the Great Salt Lake. Cozy up with all the gnats and brine shrimp. Yuck. To each his own, I guess.