Friday, April 16, 2010

The Kind and The Generous

One of the biggest challenges with our new school is the language barrier. To the credit of the teachers, their English is very good. It's my Korean that stinks. Everyday the children bring home their school notes and I toss them aside--there is really not much more I can do with them. Once a week Jim takes them into his work and has them translated by his T.A. But, by the time this is done, the information is obsolete and we are a day late with everything. True to their reputation, the Korea community has be kind, patient, and generous through it all.
The other day, James wanted to take juice for a snack. I didn't know if this was acceptable because the snack that is distributed to the class is milk. James doesn't like the milk, so I wrote a note to the teacher.
I wrote: "Can the children bring juice to school to drink?"
This was his teacher's response, "Thank you for saying so. I’m really grateful to you."
Hmmm. What to do? Should I send the juice, or not?

Anna's teacher is encouraging her to learn Korean. In a note that Anna wrote to the teacher, Anna said:
"Thank you for helping me with Korean"
Anna's teacher replied,
"And thank you that you say thank you to me."

That is so sweet-- Thank you, that you say thank you to me-- it makes me smile.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I love the "thank you for saying thank you," too. Thank you for sharing!

Robs said...

I am laughing so hard right now! I love it!

NatalieBee said...

That picture is the best. They look just like american kids smiling and messing around. See, we all are pretty much the same when it's all said and done. If I were you, I'd send the juice. I mean at this point, what difference does it make. :)