Saturday, February 13, 2010

Square Peg, Round Hole. Ouch.

Last fall a dear friend of mine, out of the blue, offered to teach me Korean. I hesitated, knowing that it would be difficult in my hectic life to find time to study and if I did make time to stretch myself mentally, would I want to dedicate it to learning Korean? After some thought and with the encouragement of my husband, I decided it would be fun to spend time with my friend no matter what we were doing, so I took her up on her offer and found a babysitter for Friday mornings so that she could tutor me in Korean. What happened has been remarkable to me. She became my private Korean tutor in so much more than the Korean language. During our sessions together I have discovered the enchanting side of traditional Korean arts and culture. This side of Korea is very easy for me to love. I also discovered that the Korean language is insanely difficult for me to learn. I am confused and dumbfounded during many of our language lessons.
There are other things about Korean culture that make absolutely no sense to me: traffic patterns, children wearing snow pants to school instead of turning on the heat, and starting school in the spring (March 2) instead of the fall, just to mention a few.
Knowing how difficult this culture clash may be on our children attending Korean public school, we have formulated a “Plan B”. Plan B is home schooling them, if plan A fails. Ugg. I am one of those people who said, “I would never home school" (somehow I forgot Kim’s Rule #1 in How to Survive Life: Never Say Never.) We also decided that no matter what, I would need to home school them in a few of the subjects so that they will not get behind in the American curriculum. This winter they have been home with me for over eight weeks. Much of this time has been dedicated to figuring out how we are going to “home school”.
After eight weeks, I am asking myself, “How am I going to do this?” I am trying to decide if our school will be named "The School of Blood, Sweat and Tears" or "The School of Hard Knocks".

It hasn't been all bad.
Good things about this month:
1. Reading “Little Town on the Prairie” with Anna. Circling words that we don’t know and looking them up. Making sentences with the words.
2. Teaching Susan Grace how to make bread, how to plan dinners for a week, and how to cook chicken fajitas.
3. Diving into personal progress with Gracie and watching her do some really great things.
4. Reading “Bud, Not Buddy” and “Children of the Dustbowl” with Miriam and discussing the Great Depression and the value of work.
5. Reading “The House of the Scorpion” with Susan Grace and discussing what makes us human.
6. Playing chess with James.
7. Playing odd and even number games with James.
8. Hearing James read the scriptures out loud for the first time.
9. Delivering 130 Valentine cookies to the children’s friends at their old school.
10. Studying things with the children that I value and find interesting.
11. Doing things with the children that I have wanted to do but never have time to do when they have a busy school schedule.
But, it hasn't been easy. Hard things about this month:
1. Someone’s been sick since the children got out of school. Daniel’s been very sick twice.
2. Never having any time to myself. I wonder how crazy I am going to be from sustaining this pace.
3. Finding a schedule and curriculum that make me feel like my children are learning and moving, not just sitting around playing the Wii all day while I tend a sick baby.
4. Losing my "alone" time with Margaret and teaching her the alphabet.
5. Losing my "quiet time" when Daniel takes a nap.

I never thought in a million years I would home school my children. Many days, I sit there and think, “What has brought me to this?” Wow, I’m such a square peg in a round hole…

7 comments:

Beth said...

Did you take that photo? I love it!

Plan A will work!
(You are wise to be prepared with a plan B).

Your Korean lessons--both in language and culture are a priceless treasure. Thank you for sharing bits of it with me--through your blog.

And a daughter who can make dinner? Awesome. Can't wait for one, two, or three of those.

Alisa said...

Dear Kim,

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Your Korean language skills always impress me when we are out & about. You are the only expat I know in this entire country who fearlessly drives all over the city without a G.P.S. And you are definitely one of the best mothers I have ever met. (And it shows! Your kids are awesome.) Your hard work & selflessness for your family have inspired me so much. When I grow up, I want to be like you. :)

Robs said...

How do you do it all? You never cease to amaze me!

Unknown said...

Kim!

Are you really homeschooling all your kiddos?
Thought you'd be interested in my new awesome find for homeschooling. It's "Spectrum" workbooks. They are CHEAP, made for standardized tests, and have all the subjects...except history. They are $9.95 on Amazon and are buy 3 get 1 free. We love them. They keep them up to speed, they're cheap, and still give them good hard work and learning. I don't like the writing and reading books as much, so do my own thing on those. Good Luck!
Daisie

NatalieBee said...

Kim, Your kids are so lucky. They are going to be fine, and so are you. Hang in there!

toby said...

are the kids going to go to Korean schools? If so, we know a Korean girl that was raised in America, she made the switch back there and maybe she could give the kids some advice, by e-mail of course. she doesn't live in Seoul.
I remember her saying they have to have a broom and help clean up the school. You are right, it is different.
It is an advantage to know about other cultures, whether they grow up to be a stay at home parent or and international business person.
They are learning so much.
I hope you get a nap, though, that would be nice. love you.

toby said...

You will be a great teacher.
You already are.


Thinking of you.