Saturday, February 6, 2010

Belonging

I think my life is unusual. We live in a foreign country with six children, in a city with over ten million people (Wikipedia lists our city as the second largest in the world). I wouldn’t even call it a city; it is more like a nation in one place. We live in a three bedroom apartment with two bathrooms. Finding American products is often a challenge, but thanks to my mom it’s not impossible. My children have been going to the foreign school for the last two years since we moved here. The school is a lovely place with wonderful facilities and a great support system of other expats in similar temporary circumstances. It is a private school with funding that supports the arts and extracurricular activities. The school is impressive and I like it, but it’s not “me”. A few weeks ago, when my ten year old daughter came to me and asked me if she could go to the public Korean school in our town, I listened with an open mind. This wasn’t the first time that she had mentioned it, but this is the first time I entertained the idea. As the idea grew from a seedling into a tender tree, I began to embrace the sensible, practical thought of my child going to school with those who truly belong to the Korean community; a community that I have grown to respect, and a community that I have belonged to without really belonging. As this idea took root, I was inspired by a bit of adventure. Why not let my children really “see” this country in which we have been living? What could possibly be more educational?
On January 22, I walked over to the beautiful grounds of the foreign school and with a giant leap of faith into a dark unknown, I withdrew all of my children from the school and enrolled them in the public school for one year. It is the scariest thing I have ever done. I hugged my children, all of whom had bewildered looks on their faces and through teary eyes, I said, “Let’s have an adventure!”
(highlights from our years at SFS)

5 comments:

ellen said...

Good for you! Please post about the adventures!!

Peg said...

Kim,
You have always amazed me. You are so brave and courageous. You also have enough faith to move mountains. I love you and love reading your blog. This is the first time I have actually commented. Your family is beautiful!

Gracie said...

Wow. I am glad we're all in this together as a family. Let's go have an adventure!(And maybe learn something on the way!)

Becky said...

As if you haven't already been doing just that. Good for you for leaping- your children will NEVER forget this time in their lives. I think I could possibly do it, but not nearly as well and gracefully as you. :)

toby said...

WOW, you are so cool!