Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spring?




The other day I hiked up the mountain behind our home with James. It was a mild winter morning and the earth was warm and muddy. You could just smell the dirt. It made me think of a book that I read, Winter Wheat by Mildred Walker. One of my favorite parts in the book is when the main character and her mother are in the garden early in the spring. They both take off their shoes and walk around in the mud. The mother looks at her daughter and says, "spring". I love that image.
When James and I were up on the mountain and we were squishing in the mud my heart seemed to sing out, "spring is coming!" I turned to James and said, "Can you feel it? Spring is coming." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of air. Yes, spring is coming.
James and I found a shaddy spot in the trees where the snow was soft and melting and we built a snow bunny. Then we played counting games as we skipped down the stairs at the bottom of the mountain.

3 comments:

gloria said...

What a great outing for you and James. I have noticed the earth as well, where the snow has melted, and it's calling me to rake and dig and plant; the days are a little longer and a tiny bit warmer. The hope of spring is in the air!

NatalieBee said...

You are such a good Mom. Cute, post. Today is March 1st. I'm so happy about it. I am SO ready for spring.

Anonymous said...

Kim,
You rock. keep it up and listen to the still small voice. I am with you in spirit.

Ginger