Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Little Things


This summer, one of my greatest challenges has been to spend "quality time" with my children. We have been able to spend plenty of time together but most of my attempts at quality time end up to be frustrating chunks of interupted chaos. I feel exceptionally exhausted and hopelessly grouchy much of the time. But, one day this summer I stood on a large rock on the seashore with James. The waves crashed around us. As we stood on this rock we noticed that it was covered with tiny little living shells. These shells were "stuck" tightly to the rock with little fibers. We pulled a few off. We watched them as the waves rolled in and out over the rock. There were thousands of them. We both thought they were cool and we sat out there watching them and touching them and wondering at them for a while, honestly, I lost track of time. When it was time to go, James grabbed my hand and said, "That was fun, Mom." "It was", I thought to myself. It seems like those words, "that was fun, Mom" and those moments are harder to come by than I would have ever imagined. Thank goodness for those little shells on the rocks at the beach and that moment with James.

6 comments:

NatalieBee said...

I was just thinking that same thing this week. Like I haven't had any "quality" time with my kids this summer. Ug! The mommy guilt. Cute story though Kim.

Robs said...

That's a very cute story. Cute James. I haven't had much "quality" time with my kids either. I try to do fun things with them and it always ends in chaos and me in tears. I'm glad you got your moment!

gloria said...

What a cute story. I wonder if the quality time with kids ever gets any easier. I felt the same way this summer trying to get a little "quality" time with my grown up kids.

Gracie said...

I love you Mom. You're so awesome. I wish I could be like you. I wish I could've been James right then. I'm glad to be your daughter. Thanks.

Em said...

I always love to hear my kids say "that was fun Mama."

No worries Kim, you are a wonderful devoted mother. You are a great example to me!

Becky said...

If we could all just stop and take 10 minutes now and then to see where we are, who we are with, and just breath it all in, ...we would all have more of those awesome moments. Thanks for sharing!