Friday, August 7, 2009

A National Treasure


Last spring I read the Newberry Award winning book, A Single Shard, by Linda Sue Park. The book is a tender story of an orphaned boy in 12th Century Korea who dreams of learning the art of pottery. The book refers to "The Thousand Crane Vase" a real 12th century piece of pottery that is housed in a museum here in Seoul. After reading the book, I determined to take my children to see the famous work of art that is now considered by the country to be a "national treasure" (#68, I think). The trick to seeing this piece is that the museum is only open for four weeks of the year (two weeks in the spring and two weeks during the fall). In spite of the time constraint, I was set on seeing this lovely work of art, especially after reading about it, so I put forth the effort and loaded us all into a cab and headed across town. When we finally found the museum I asked the attendant if we could see the vase. She said "No, not part of exhibit". I was confused. "Do you have this vase?" I asked. "Yes. Not available", she responded putting her index fingers together to make an X. "Why?" I asked, almost desperate. "It is National treasure. In storage." "Oh", I replied completely dumbfounded. I left the museum very disappointed and even more determined to some day see the famous celedon vase.
I still hope to see the piece while I am here in Korea. As for the book, I highly recommend it. It is a sweet tale of how we are all good enough if we do our best and never give up.

6 comments:

NatalieBee said...

What are they doing hiding a National Treasure? In storage? What? Come on people. That would be like us closing up the Grand Canyon. Sorry, too breath taking, closed. Stingies. I remember reading this book and enjoying it. It's been awhile. I think I'll read it again. :)

gloria said...

One of my all time favorite books. Loved it. I guess you were unable to view this national treasure because I needed to be with you! We will check it out in the spring. Find out the details and we'll have to plan our trip around this unseen hidden treasure!

Robs said...

That is a great book. I loved it too. Hopefully they pull it out of storage so that you can see it!

behka said...

Kim I have missed you! I just read up on all you have been busy with. I was sad when I tried to listen to the interview and it had expired! I have been looking for a good read... If I read the book can I come see the vase too?

toby said...

hey you, you and S.G. gave us the book before you left town. I will put it on my list. Sounds good.
Sorry about the vase being so hard to get a glimpse of. Maybe you will find a way. I like your sense of adventure, and some things don't come as quickly as others.

Kaylie said...

That book was so amazing! I read it in 8th grade and loved it. It's actually the reason I started doing potter this year at school. I wish you could have taken pictures of it, maybe someday they'll take it out of storage.