Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What could it be?

Just as I was settling in and feeling at home this guy pulls up and completely demolishes the
apartment building across the street from me.













The demolition was followed by a parade of dumptrucks that where loaded up with rubble. I wondered to myself, "Could I be so lucky? Maybe there will be a new public park built or a neighborhood swimming pool." Of course behind my wishful thinking was a frown of reality--I knew deep down what this meant: dirt, noise, traffic and the big question, "who/what will be my new neighbor(S)??" And all this, just when I had my neighborhood down.

Those big mean trucks worked hard but the construction workers have put them to shame. I've never seen a building go up so fast. In keeping with the spirit of the dry cleaner (also across the street) they work hard and they deliver.
So far, it looks like an apartment building. It's definitely not a pool or a park, (sigh). How high they will build remains a mystery and so does they way they wander around on beams of suspended metal 40 feet up like they are tightrope walkers. I've been tempted to call OSHA several times. One thing I do know: a hammer banging on metal can be very loud and annoying-especially after three hours.

10 comments:

Em said...

I wonder who your new neighbors will be too. Just looking at the pictures and I can hear all the noise, noise, noise.

gloria said...

Well, that's got to be miserable for someone trying to take a nap or get some peace and quiet. What does James think--does he want to be down there with the big trucks?

toby said...

I hope Maggie can nap!
Sorry it isn't a pool or a park.
How far away are those things?
and do the Seoul kids go to them or are they home studying?

Gracie said...

I agree! I've certainly never seen a building go up like that.I liked it most when they took the big cement truck and poured it all around the bottoms of each floor.

lebaronfam said...

That sounds exciting, yet very annoying! There is always more and more and more constructions of new houses going on in our neighborhood in Utah, so I know how it feels to have that kind of noise around! When you get woken up early on Saturday morning by the annoying sounds of big machines and shouts, and you stick your head under the pillow to stifle the noise, but it doesn't really work, and you end up just getting up cause you can't fall back asleep. Yep, all familiar! I'm excited to know who your neighbors are though! Maybe they'll have kids the same ages as yours! That would be fun! -Ashley

Robs said...

Oh, the banging of the hammer! I would go insane! They are building houses in my neighborhood and I want to scream at the noise! So annoying. Let us know who your new neighbors are going to be!

ellen said...

I bet James was in heaven watching all that!! A boy's dream!

behka said...

So now that it has been a couple weeks, has the banging stopped? Do you have new neighbors yet? Hope you had a fab mother's day. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my I just got caught up on your blog. You never cease to amaze me. Loved the picture of James. The rolls are awesome I think they are much better than a cake. My I can't believe how much Maggie has grown. Looks like you are surviving. What an adventure. Wow can't believe you have a maid and you can send out your mending. Gee we miss you. It is finally summer. Tyler and Janet came and planted a garden. Grandma is busy making her yard beautiful again.

Suzanne Linge said...

Kim I love your pictures and sharing your awesome interesting life. hope I can remember my password