Monday, April 21, 2008

James turns four!

I have to admit that until James was born, I never played an April Fool's prank. On the day that he was born, we called and announced the great news to our family. A common response was, "nice joke". We weren't joking.
Now, every April first is James' birthday and part of the celebration is "my joke". This year, his pre-school had asked me to send in a small scrap-book of his life. This was the last picture in the book.
During Christmas we were in limbo. Homeless. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, yet right in the middle of an international move. I remember feeling like I had been lost in some kind of vacuum out in space as I sat on the airplane and imagined where in the world I was. I still wake up sometimes and look out my window at all of the unfamiliar sights and feel a bit of panic. I’m so far away! From what? I guess from familiarity. This experience has taught me how much my nature longs for the familiar.
Needless to say, we had a very small and simple Christmas-our suitcases were bulging with necessities and I was so overwhelmed that poor Santa Clause got locked out when he stopped by, if he stopped by at all. I pretty much ignored the fact that five small children would expect him to come no matter what our circumstances. On Christmas morning, James, being the magic age of three, opened his brown Mater Slippers (Disney’s "Cars"), threw them across the room and sobbed, “I wanted McQueen slippers”. His two other toys were broken by noon and every picture I have of James on Christmas morning is a most pathetic sight. Even this Scrooge vowed to mend my ways after my eight year old sighed, “I guess Santa thinks we were pretty bad this year”.
As James birthday approached, I pulled my bootstraps up to my armpits and set out to find some kind of familiar birthday bash booty. I had to smile when I saw this photo of his birthday. I hope what is said about children being resilient is true. But, if not, I always fall back on the Abraham Lincoln philosophy, “a little hardship makes for strong character”.

Happy Birthday, James! And for those who are confused by the cinnamon rolls for birthday cake, it’s not from lack of a cake mix. My children never want cake. They always conjure up some other kind of goodie, like pie or….cinnamon rolls.

To finish off our party for James, we hiked the mountain just as it was getting dark. I wanted the children to see the lights of the city. This sight never ceases to amaze me, no matter how familiar the city becomes.




8 comments:

BigFunFamily said...

Happy (Late) Birthday to James! Is that really what the city looks like? It is absolutely breathtaking. One of my favorite views on earth is the lights of a city at night, viewed from afar. Thanks for sharing : )

Miriam said...

it was so beautful on the top of the moutain, itis a sight I will never forget. I fully agrey with you on the cake thing, I would do anything not to have a cake on my birthday. I have onley seen two cakes in my life one on Anna's fourth birthday (straberry short cake) and one on jame's first birthday (ducky cake) LOVE THE BLOG!!!!

gloria said...

James, it looks like you had a great birthday. The April Fools picture is so funny! What a great mom you have. The cinamon rolls look so yummy--much better than a cake. And, the city looks frightfully awesome--I want to go on that hike too. One of these days I will come to visit and get to see all the wonderful things you are experiencing.

behka said...

Happy birthday to a big 4 year old! Good job, Mom, on making it fun for him, its not always easy. Love your city. I was looking amongst all those lights for the spire of a Temple...

Ashley and the Fam said...

Happy late birthday to James!!!
The city looks amazing! What view! That is so spectacular!!! I love April Fools Day! That is really great that you made it fun for James, he looks like he's having tons of fun! We sure miss you!
-Ashley

Em said...

Happy Birthday James! That hike really does have an amazing view. As for the slippers. Emma loves them!

Gracie said...

Love the blog! I wasn't too disappointed on Christmas. loved the cinnamonrolls!

Robs said...

Oh, remember Christmas! I'm glad that children are resilient and that Santa won't skimp this year! I love the April fools picture! You are a great writer and I'm always inspired by your posts! Bring on the next one!