Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Those Darn Apron Strings

Those darn apron strings. Why don’t they stretch a little longer and tie a little tighter? Last week, James and I walked down the street to the corner and he hopped on the big ‘ole school bus and headed off to pre-school. I told him I would cry if he left me and he said, “That’s okay Mom, I won’t.” He didn’t. He has been very handsome and very brave. This “pre-school” experience has been different than all of my others. After careful thought and research, we chose to put James into a Korean Montessori Preschool as opposed to the American Preschool that is connected with the Elementary school that the girls go to. Yes, I have had a few raised eyebrows as to our decision and no, I can’t read any of the notes that he brings home. So far he loves it and hasn’t complained. We play a game after school with all of the children called, “best and worst”. Each child gets a chance to share what was best about their day and what was worst. When it is James turn, each day he has said, “My whole day was best”.

As far as I can tell, James does not understand a word that they are saying, yet he sits and listens (I’ve been peeking in on him during class). It’s made me wonder, does he understand what I’m saying when I talk? Does any young child? I have a whole new perspective about children; their resilience, their open-mindedness, their innocence, and their capability.

It's in these moments of life when my children “hop on the school bus” that I realize their childhood is moving forward and onward, slipping through my fingers. What remains are the memories that are imprinted in my mind and theirs. Their memories will play a large part in who they become. My memories? Well, they will keep me company, I hope.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim!!! James in preschool . . . . what a big little guy! I taught the Sunbeams class on Sunday and all of those kids are getting big: Luke, Wes, Marcelle, Kayla, Caitlin, Erik. Did you cry? What a great learning experience for him--and for you. Love and miss you.

BigFunFamily said...

Can you see me crying? It does go by so fast. I was looking a pictures of Will (age 15) when he was David's age (7 mos). They look a lot alike! So, when I was missing my little William, I hugged David a bit tighter to keep him little, but I know it won't work. (sniff) Your kids look so happy in your pictures. We miss you!!!

gloria said...

Cute James. I wish I could say my whole day was best! Wouldn't that be nice? Children grow up and cut the apron strings all too soon--I still get a sad feeling in the fall when I'm outside and hear the echos of Bountiful High cheering their football team to victory. But, oh, the memories--they never fade.

Miriam said...

I am sad i am not james going to korean preaschool1 i love the blog

Gracie said...

At least you stil have little Maggie! She won't be leaving for a year or two.James is SO cute! I can tell thathe will grow up into a very independant man.

Robs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robs said...

You made me cry. You should write a book! James is so cute. When I pulled up your blog I totally saw you in James. He looks just like you. I am dreading the day Libby goes to school. They grow up too fast. I'm glad James loves preschool and that it's all the best for him!

Em said...

I loved this blog. You helped me to put things in perspective. Hold on to those apron strings. Your right they don't stretch very far.

behka said...

So... what did you do all morning with only Mags at home? Sometimes I find myself wondering if Sydney ever gets sick of seeing only my face while the kids are at school. But I cherish the time with her because her school days are coming way too soon, too. Love your mother heart, Kim.

toby said...

How is school going for James?
That is fantastic that he goes to a Korean preschool!

Janika said...

Hi Kim. I'm a friend of EP's and she directed me to your blog. I love it! I served a mission in Pusan and lived in Seoul for two summer internships (one in the LG Chairman's office--isn't your husband working for LG?) and two short stints for a BYU program there. I think you are very brave! I have never really lived all on my own in Korea before--always a mission pres., host family, business contact etc. to manage the big details--like furniture, housing, etc.! I think you are brilliant to have James attend a Korean preschool. He is at the perfect age to enjoy being with the other children and not be self conscious about his language skills. I look forward to keeping up with your adventures in Seoul!