Saturday, March 8, 2008

One Last Hoorah...I Hope.

I read a children’s book while I was in Boston called, Winter is the Warmest Season by Lauren Stringer. The book left me with a cozy feeling and an appreciation for some of those cold, dark winter days. Today it was 50 degrees here in Seoul. Wow. Spring is creeping around the corner and I can breathe a sigh of relief that those big, fat winter coats can soon be stored away and we can pull out the lightweight jackets (which take up a lot less space, phew). Here is one last hoorah (I hope) for winter, and a peak into our ski trip to Yong Pyong.


This trip I skied in jeans and this motivated me not to fall down (which I didn't). I was very cautious and a bit boring. Susan Grace and Miri really did a great job. This was their second time skiing. Jim had a fun "night" out skiing from 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a. m. It actually snowed on him- real snow, none of that man-made stuff. For the younger ones there was a great sledding run, complete with a conveyor belt that pulled us up to the top. Something about zooming down the ice on a piece of rubber makes me feel like I'm ten years old again. That's gotta be good anti-aging cream, right? If anything, it's really good for the soul. One thing I found different about skiing in Korea was that the pedestrians or spectators just wander around on the bottom of the slopes. We had our stroller out there and all of the kids playing around while the skiers were coming down the mountain around us. Wierd. I decided after a half day of skiing, I'd rather be the pedestrian than the skier, especially if I'm in jeans.

Aside: When we walked into the condominium there were no beds! In a nearby closet were nicely stacked and neatly folded "pads" (thick blankets). At night we threw these out on the floor (kind of like sleeping bags) and then folded them up again in the morning. The children thought it was great. My back didn't. This "Eastern" style of condominium is referred to as "Ondul" style.

9 comments:

Em said...

I really wanted to take Emma sledding this year, but never got around to it. Looks like you all had a great time. Your right, feeling like a kid again is great for the soul. Not to mention those tiny wrinkles around the eyes.

Gracie said...

I didn't like the "beds" much either. I loved skiing! I hope we can go again next year. As muc has I enjoyed that though, I can't wait for spring!

Unknown said...

I love skiing. It feels like flying.

Unknown said...

I love to see my kids flying.

gloria said...

What a cute picture of Maggie! Kim, you are pretty good with that camera. It looks like you had such a fun time in the snow. I guess as long as there's cold and snow we should at least find some way to enjoy it. Spring is just around the corner though, and I for one, can't wait. Grandma's crocuses are up and blooming--Now that's a warm feeling and good for the soul, not too mention the tiny wrinkles around the eyes--from smiling at the sun!

behka said...

You all look like you are having so much fun! Hopefully spring will come to us all soon! What a great family outing.

BigFunFamily said...

That looks like so much fun! The condo, on the other hand . . . What an adventure. Our only winter outing was having Jared take the scouts on Klondike. John and Paul went and they slept in snow caves. Brrrr.

Miriam said...

I loved that ski trip. i hope we go again!!!!!

Robs said...

Looks like so much fun! I love the picture of Maggie! What is it with you and Emily and the wrinkles? Explain please!