Sunday, March 23, 2008

"I'm 'IT'"

Happy Spring! I just had to include this picture of plum blossoms in my sugar mold.

I got "tagged", so here goes:

Ten Years Ago?

10 years ago our little family of three (mommy, daddy, and baby) moved in with Grandma (my husband's widowed grandmother) to help out with meals and cleaning etc. Motherhood had left me so incredibly sleep-deprived I couldn't see straight and Jim was confused about his career path. We were in a pretty pathetic and desperate state. Fortunately, we didn't stay at Grandma's long. In a nutshell, ten years ago we were young and penniless and a bit confused.

Things on my "to do" list:

1. Wander down to the "town hall" with a piece of paper that has Korean writing on it. I have no idea what the paper says but I hope that if I show it to the right person, eventually I will get the licence plates for my car.
2. Read my scriptures (my daily struggle, I have good intentions, but....)
3. Take James for a check-up at the M.D. and get his Asthma prescriptions renewed.
4. Hope that the pharmacy carries his meds.
5. Play Scrabble with Anna
6. Play "Guess Who" with James
7. Work with Miriam on her book report (The Hobbit)
8. Knit (?, yeah right, that never happens)
9. Work on my mom's birthday present

What would I do if I suddenly became a billionaire? I don't know. I wouldn't want it to ruin me or my kids--I like the work hard, live modestly ideal. I think I would pay my debts and then pretend it wasn't there. (Is that possible?) It would be really fun to wander around finding people to surprise with a thousand dollars every once in a while. I have some friends I would love to secretly buy a house for....

Three of my bad habits
1. Nag at my husband
2. Nag at my kids
3. re-make the beds after my husband and children make them

Three Places I have lived:
Boston
Chicago
Dominican Republic

Five Jobs I have had:
Telemarketing: Worst job ever! Boy was I desperate during college
Lynn's Flavor Magic (pretty bad, huh. I was desperate in high school, too)
Gymnastics Coach
Top Hat Video
Autoclave Tech (most boring job on the planet--once again a desperate summer job)

Five things people don't know about me:

1. I have a house-keeper that comes once a week for eight hours and I haven't cleaned a toilet since I moved to Seoul
2. I enjoy chess
3. I wear a very padded bra
4. I love idioms
5. I wear anti-wrinkle cream

Tag! You're "IT": Julia, Robilyn, Jan and Em.

11 comments:

Miriam said...

Whats with the "the very padded bra"? I think you did not acomplish any of your to do's. I love your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gracie said...

Love the post (and entire blog). I wish I had a blog so I could get "IT"! Maybe I can help you tend Maggie when you are walking around the town hall trying to get that licence plate!

BigFunFamily said...

LOL--very funny. You want our answers on here?

10 years ago. . .
I was 7 mos pregnant and I had 1, 3, and 5 year-old boys. Jared was working 15-hour days. I sprained my ankle when I rushed out the door and tripped on the pile of rocks the boys had put on our front porch. I was rushing to stop a certain unnamed child from peeing in the road. After I fell I just sat on the porch in a heap and bawled my eyes out. Great memory.

Things on my to do list:
1. Get the Sienna to pass smog check (we've gone at least 10 times already--arrgh)
2. Mop the kitchen
3. Clean out the refrigerator
4. Fold the laundry
5. Put all those papers of the kids I've been saving in binders for scrapbooks
6. Go to the temple
7. Rototill the garden and plant it
8. Get a good night's sleep (I can dream, can't I?--daydream that is)
9. Travel to Europe

3 bad habits:
1. Chewing out other drivers
2. Chewing gum
3. Chewing nothing (grinding my teeth)

3 places I've lived:
Chico, California
Fairfax County, Virginia
Fillmore, Utah

5 jobs I've had:
1. Sorting army surplus (terrible)
2. Telemarketing (almost as bad)
3. Researching in the National Archives in Wash DC(awesome)
4. Cleaning Central Bank (ho hum)
5. Babysitting (ahh--chooo! cat allergy)

5 things people don't know about me:
1. I won first place in the the Northern California Science and Engineering Fair in 7th grade
2. I don't like to play chess
3. I've never had my ears pierced.
4. I like beets.
5. I really like walking in the rain.

BigFunFamily said...

I forgot the question about becoming a billionaire. First I would hire someone to tend the kids for 24 hours so I could sleep ZZZ. Then I would take a very long bubble bath. Then I would take a trip around the world while someone built me a house. Then I would be set for life.

P.S. Kim, I haven't cleaned a toilet since you moved to Seoul, either. Ewww!

Robs said...

I love the picture! I still want one of those things! Someday! As for your previous post. Your house looks like a museum...and you mock me for my "PB" house. Not so! Your house looks spotless and very modern! It looks great! Call me...I want to talk to you.

Robs said...

Oh, I forgot to say...I'm so happy you have a house cleaner...how do I get one of those? Also, I wish that I could share my bra size with you and then both of us would be set! No more minimizers for me and no more padded bras for you!

Em said...

Those Plum Blossoms are really pretty. It is so fun reading those tag things, but not so fun typing them out. I will try to get around to it soon. love you

gloria said...

I love your sugar mold and plum blossoms. I also loved reading your "I'm It." I have a cleaning lady come and help me too--it's Emily! She does a great job--comes highly recommended. I wasn't surprised by any of your comments except that you wear anit-wrinkle cream. I guess it's time I get some. What kind is it and where do I get it?

Em said...

Kim, I am glad that you liked my blog. You better not just be saying that! I will take your padded bra over my DD anytime.

behka said...

So fun to read about you. I'm with you on the padded bra, I just found a fab new one... You are inspiring! Love ya!

Ashley and the Fam said...

Dear Kim,
You're amazing. I love your blog. It makes me miss you and your darling family.
Love, Jan