Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Michealangelo and the Vatican City


The Piata
Hundreds of years after his death, the creative energy and the ingenious spirit of Michelangelo can be felt throughout the Vatican City . His tireless quest for perfection and his assertion of new ideas that empowered the human spirit left me in awe.
During my humanities class in college I learned about Michelangelo's Piata. As a college student, I was impressed with the beauty and insight of the work. Looking at the sculpture in St. Peter's Basillica left me in tears. I am amazed that a young man could have the heart and tenderness to sculp this scene. It is Christmas and Easter in one. It is about the salvation of mankind and the nobility of womanhood. Michelangelo captures the Mother's heart and the Son's sacrifice in a way that brought me to tears. The Piata is one of my favorite works of art.
The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
I was most impressed that in spite of the conflict and contention that were a part of Catholism during his day, Michelangelo was able to find and understand God in a way that had never been expressed before. In The Creation of Adam, Michelango has captured God's strength and willing, sincere desire to help his children. He has also captured Adam's weak but faithful effort to reach out to God for his influence. Having felt weak and desperate for God's help, I can relate to Michelangelo's interpretation of the creation.
The dome of St. Peter's Basilica, the work of Michelanglo. Favorite Photos of The Vatican City:
Paul, the Patron Saint of Rome.
Rome, from the top of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica
The School of Athens by RaphaelThe Swiss Guard

2 comments:

Peg said...

Love me some Michealangelo,always have been a big fan. It is so exciting that you have seen so much of what I studied in school. Love to read about all these places in the world that you have been, thanks for sharing on your blog.

toby said...

Italy is one place I have not been.
I am going to comb over your photos and enjoy them. I am so glad you got to go. I am happy for you that you and Jim could enjoy it together.