Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Magic Chef Dryer

In June, I went to Utah for ten days. When I got back, Jim had installed a Magic Chef dryer. My life changed.
The all-in-one washer/dryer combo that came with the apartment made laundry a chore to say the least. The washer is fine, but the "dryer" left something to be desired. Depending on the size of the load my dry time was usually between three and four hours. This is when my life became very ironic. After five hours of washing and drying one batch of clothes, my clothes were no where near dry and I would have to hang them around the house overnight to "air dry". With five children laundry had become an unbearable chore and my house looked like a clothes tree half of the time. I was fit to be tied. What added insult to injury was that, after all this work, my clothes had a stale "never-been-dry" smell and a very crunchy feel.

Jim, seeing my plight surprised me with this wonderful dryer. Dryers are not easy to come by in Korea; in fact, most tradtional Korean households dedicate one whole room to line drying their clothing. So, if you are planning on making your way over here, my advice is to ship your dryer!

5 comments:

gloria said...

What a luxury we all take for granted. Thank you Jim for making my daughter's "load" a little dryer!

NatalieBee said...

Oh, the never ending laundry that comes with a big family. One of the nicest things Mark ever got for me was my whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. Now do you have any bounce sheets to go with that dryer?

behka said...

We may be one of the only countries that believe in dryers. I remember visiting NZ and they were drying clothes on the line in the rain. I thought that a bit unproductive.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, maybe I don't envy you. I am glad Jim got you a new dryer you deserve to have one!

BigFunFamily said...

I'm glad you got a dryer, Kim! I remember my mom always drying clothes outside on the line and we never had any fabric softener since we were allergic to the brands they had back then. Our towels felt like emery boards. I shudder just thinking about it!