Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grandpa's Carrots

My Grandpa Daniels was a gardener. Every fall he would bring a gigantic bag of carrots to our home. These homegrown carrots were crooked and knobby and covered with Grandpa's garden dirt. Whenever I saw Grandpa's carrots sitting on the ledge in the garage, I knew how my mom felt about it and that still makes me smile, maybe even laugh.
Now that my dear Grandpa is gone, this memory is very tender to me. I love carrots.
So, what to do with all of those knobby carrots?
Susan Grace’s Delicious Carrot Cake
1 and a half cups oil
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 and a half teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups grated carrots
*optional 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
Preheat oven to 375. Cream together oil, eggs, and sugar. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla, carrots, and nuts. Bake in two loaf pans for 55 minutes. Cool before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
4oz. cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 and a half tablespoons butter, softened
*optional ¾ cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
Cream together all ingredients except nuts. When well-blended, add nuts and mix well.

This recipe comes from my mother-in-law, Virginia Oldroyd (its original name is Marcia's Delicious Carrot cake). I don't know Marcia, so I renamed it, in honor of my new baker/pal, Susan-Grace.

6 comments:

gloria said...

Those ding dang carrots! I can't see carrots or raspberries without thinking about grandpa. I am going to have to make Susan's carrot cake. It sounds delicious. Can she come and help me?

behka said...

Sounds delish! My grampa grew carrots too. When we visited we would 'thin' them. I'll never forget the look on his face when we showed him our 'thinning' picks. There were not many carrots left to grow. We learned a good lesson, though.

Unknown said...

I still remember Moms reaction to the carrots too! That is so funny. I will have to try Susan's carrot cake. It isn't to complicated is it?

BigFunFamily said...

LOL--I tried for a long time (since before their mission) to get this recipe from Mom. Lo and behold, 10 years later I find it on the internet : )

BigFunFamily said...

I went to a relief society "this is your life" yesterday and there was a funny carrot story. The lady's husband was a stake president and they had a general authority over for dinner after a conference and the lady had made stuffed carrots. The visiting authority said to his wife he wouldn't eat the carrots because they were covered with dirt and hadn't been cleaned. His wife said, "Honey, they are STUFFED carrots!" How embarrassing!

Gracie said...

I loved making that carrot cake!