Thursday, September 1, 2011

Small World Magic on the River

In addition to the magic of watching the Comorants fish on the river, we had a serendipitous event during our night river tour. We were eating our picnic of tuna fish sandwiches aboard our boat before it left the dock. The sun was setting and the evening was beautiful. A young couple boarded the boat. The girl was especially pretty and had a huge smile. She sat down next to my daughters and they were ecstatic. She looked interested in getting to know us and I have to admit by stomach dropped as I noticed her eye my Father-in-Law's missionary name tag. "Oh no," I groaned to myself. I wasn't in a talkative mood and I am ashamed to admit, I wasn't looking forward to this tour being a missionary discussion.
It turns out that she is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon)! Not only that, she herself is a returned missionary from the Utah Temple Square Mission. She was born and raised in Russia and joined the church there five years ago. She is living in Japan working on an internship as a student of Brigham Young University (Jim and my alma mater). She spoke Russian, English, and Japanese fluently. A fascinating young woman.



No comments: