Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Elder and Sister Oldroyd

Jim's parents live in Nagoya, Japan. They are serving as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In June it was our good fortune to be able to go and visit them as a family. I can't believe how close we live to each other. The flight was less than two hours.
When we arrived at the airport, they were waiting inside with big smiles and open arms. Their mission president was also there offering us a warm welcome. It's been a long time (almost 20 years) since I was a missionary in the Dominican Republic, Santiago Mission. Being with Grandma Gina and Papa brought back many sweet memories I have of serving as a missionary. I am thankful that Jim and I could visit them with our children. I was impressed with the great sacrifices they cheerfully make each day of their mission. They have left the comforts of their home and family during their "golden years".
The sacrifice that impressed me the most is the three flights of stairs that Grandma Gina climbs each day to get to her office in the mission home. I've known for some time that Grandma Gina does not like stairs. Each time I climbed the stairs to her office I couldn't help but feel her sacrifice in each step.






1 comment:

Becky said...

Wow, what a neat experience that they are serving there- parents so close to you!... And Jim told us about baby #7... so excited for you and tired for you, too. :) I wish I had it in me, I still melt when I hold a newborn- don't think that will ever change. You make it look easy and I know better. I just love the perspective that you guys have- I think I will always be able to learn a lot from you. Amazing with a capital A. When you can, please move to Logan and be our neighbors, k? We can cook each other freezer meals and you can teach me how to sew and take great photos. :) And then our kids can date when they are older,...