Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Boom





















When Gracie was two years old I worked as a home health nurse. One day, I went to do some home health visits and when I came home Jim was playing "dog" with her. She would roll over, sit, shake and even fetch at his command, then he would give her a treat. I was horrified. What happened to teaching the ABC's to our little one? I should have known then that this puppy problem was not going to go away. Gracie grew to love animals but one in particular, the dog.

As long as I can remember, Gracie has wanted a dog. This year she turned thirteen. She's never had a yard to run and play in. She's changed schools four times in six years. The last change was to a school in which she couldn't speak the language. To make matters worse, she went from being a middle schooler to being in elementary school again. A huge blow that she seemed to take in stride. In fact, she's taken it all in stride and then some. She was elected to be the student body president of the Korean Elementary School in our town.
I decided if Gracie could do the impossible, then so could I. On September 23 we drove to Yangpyang and bought a German Shepherd puppy. We named him Kipboom (it means joy in Korean). We call him Boom for short.

1 comment:

behka said...

So super brave of you. Good luck!