Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ground Level

Someday, I hope to live on the ground level.
Seoul is a sea of concrete buildings and it seems like everywhere I go I have to use the elevator. All of the department stores, grocery stores, doctor’s offices, the elementary school, our church building, and our apartment building all have multiple floors. Margaret has the stamina to climb one flight of stairs at a snail’s pace while whining, “Wait for me, Mom. I’m too tired”; and Daniel would like to climb any flight of stairs but can’t because he is riding in the stroller. In nearly every situation, I look for the elevator. I’ve crammed, shoulder to shoulder into many elevators, apologizing as my stroller wheels smash the tiny feet of a little old lady. The only bearable thing to do in such a small crowded space is to look up and breathe. My poor kids are smothered in the crowd below staring straight ahead with their noses or cheeks rubbing up against some stranger’s coat, jacket or tie.
I live on the fourth floor. Thank goodness for the elevator in my building. Today, it took all of my Costco groceries up four flights of stairs for me. My friend lives on the 35th floor. She has a nice view, but I heard its bad fengshui to be so far from the earth. I believe it.
Like all elevators, the elevators in Seoul go up and they go down. In one sense I feel like my life here in Korea is an emotional ride on an elevator and my experiences seem to be one extreme or the other. There’s really not much in between for me. Watching my children go to a new school in a foreign language and culture is one of the toughest, roughest things I have ever done. Seeing them meet the challenge with a smile and optimism is one of the sweetest, most humbling moments of my life.
The day after the children started school our family took a trip to Thailand. In Thailand, sipping Pina Colada at the pool I felt like I was on cloud nine. I couldn’t help but think, “When am I going to get off the elevator and be on the ground?”

3 comments:

NatalieBee said...

Elevators. Remember when you had come to visit me in Arizona and we were in one and Kaylie got her hand caught in the doors as they were closing? We couldn't get her unstuck. That totally freaked me out. She survived though, relatively unscathed. Life is a roller coaster ride even for those of us with our feet on the ground. I guess that's what it's all about. Seeing how we weather the storm, with a little bit of joy for respite. Like Kaylie, I'm sure at some point you'll get "unstuck" from those hungry elevator doors. Then you'll be on the ground with the rest of us. And although, all is fengshui as you say. Things can be rather dull. Just enjoy the ride, and hope it doesn't make you too sick to your stomach =D!

gloria said...

No one is ever on the ground for long. We all experience the roller coaster rides of life. When it's at the top enjoy the view. When it's racing down, hold onto your hat and hope and pray it stops before plummeting into the earth. I love the quote from Pres. Uchtdorf, "it is often in the trial of adversity that we learn those most critical lessons that form our character and shape our destiny." If we survive our "elevator rides" hopefully we will be better, stronger, and wiser than if we had always had our feet planted firmly on the ground. Love your blog. Can't wait to see all of you!

NatalieBee said...

Okay. What was I smokin? Can you tell that it was 2 in the morning when I wrote that comment? I was a little punch happy from listening to Matthew scream. Why won't he sleep? Anyway, love the blog.