Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gazpacho

Last August a really dear friend of mine from Chicago gave me a bowl of Gazpacho to try. It was the first time in my life that I had ever heard of it. It was sooooo good. A month later I was in Boston (Lexington to be exact) at Wilson Farms. They were having their tomato festival and had free samplings of Heirloom Gazpacho. I thought of my dear friend and felt a sentimental tenderness for Gazpacho. A year has passed since I moved from Chicago and I made me some Gazpacho as a tribute to the tomato harvest (one of my favorite times of the year), to Chicago, and to my dear knitting club friend.
Heirloom Gazpacho

5 pounds of big heirloom tomatoes

1 medium cucumber cubed

1 C red onion diced

1 green and 1 red pepper diced

2 T cherry vinegar

1 T lime juice

1 T olive oil

splash Tabasco

1 T orange juice

1/4 t pepper

2 t salt

Cut tomatoes in half. Dice half of them and puree the other half. Add other ingredients!

(Yummm. This has me written all over it)


Warning: my children hated it. One said, "Can you make it without tomatoes?" Oh well, all the more for me, right?

6 comments:

Em said...

Can you make it without tomatoes? That made me smile. Kids...

gloria said...

Sounds yummy. Why can't you live by me and bring me some? Which child doesn't like tomatoes--let me guess--Anna?

Robs said...

That sounds delicious. Which child asked if you could make it without tomatoes? Gracie? Remember when she kept drinking the milk that one Sunday? Please tell me you remember! I'm totally laughing right now!

behka said...

Our tomato harvest is still waiting to happen. When it finally does, I will surely try this! It sounds yummy!

NatalieBee said...

So what exactly is this stuff? Soup? Salsa? I don't get it? Natalie

BigFunFamily said...

We are finally getting some ripe tomatoes. Our garden was a total failure this year, except for some awesome banana squash (all volunteers, of course!)This gazpacho sounds so yummy!!