Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Forbidden City

Okay, so the duck was pretty good. It tasted like the dark meat on a Turkey at Thanksgiving. I love dark meat, so even with my nausea, the ducky wasn’t yucky.

Day 2- The Forbidden City

I didn't know anything about Chinese History before my trip. Here are a few things I learned:

Emperors for centuries have lived in the Forbidden City with honor, until Mao, the Chinese military and political leader who led the Communist Party of China to victory in the Chinese Civil War, and was the leader of the People’s Republic of China from its establishment in 1949 until his death in 1976 refused to even visit the honored site. He was afraid it would throw off his Feng shui.
Here’s a little more about Mao. (I just have to include it because I didn't know who Mao was until I visited China)
Mao is regarded as one of the most important figures in modern world history, and named by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century. Mao is still a controversial figure today, over thirty years after his death. He is generally held in high regard in China where he is often portrayed as a great revolutionary and strategist who eventually defeated Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek in the Chinese Civil War, and transformed the country into a major power through his policies. However, many of Mao's socio-political programs such as the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution are blamed by critics from both within and outside China for causing severe damage to the culture, society, economy and foreign relations of China, as well as the deaths of 44.5 to 72 million people.

(Reference: Wikipedia)

After visiting the Forbidden City we shopped. I don’t like to shop and I hate to bargain. I bought one thing: a Chinese Chess set for 50 dollars. My friend walked in after me and bought the same thing for $15. Slap. You see what I mean? I don’t like to shop. I left with a huge headache, but the day wasn’t over.
That night, we went to a fantastic Chinese Acrobat Show. Amazing and lot’s of fun. Even though the theatre was filled to capacity and had no A/C it beat shopping, which is what one of the ladies in our group opted to do instead.

8 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for the history lesson. I found it rather interesting. Never heard of Mao. Did I even spell that right? It looks like you had an interesting trip. Neat pictures.

Em said...

Mao was responsible for 72 million deaths. Hmmm

lebaronfam said...

I've always wanted to go to China! That is so fun! I think I like watching over shopping too. Hope you're having fun!

Gracie said...

I didn't know Jenny bought it for 15!

gloria said...

I would opt for the history lesson and watching over shopping. I'm sorry you got ripped off on the chess set, but what a memory and conversation piece. It's worth every penny!

BigFunFamily said...

At least you spent your souvenir money in one fell swoop and didn't have to go shopping again : ) I'll bet the acrobats were amazing!

Robs said...

I loved the history lesson. I'm a shopper and a watcher...I don't know about the no AC though. I'm not one for heat. You know me! Remember how hot your apartment in Chicago was? YIKES! I'd love to see the chess set. If it makes you feel any better I would have probably paid 75 for it. Not great at bargaining!

behka said...

I am so a watcher. Darn of the chess, if I were bargaining I would have paid $100 and felt good about it. Mao.....